Tuesday, 24 June 2014

How to mix skin tones in watercolour

When you can paint portraits in watercolour, you can paint anything, in any medium.

We all know that painting a portrait is tough. But is also immensely rewarding! Nothing will give the same sense of pride and accomplishment as painting the face of a friend of family member… that looks like your friend or family member!

Take a look at these images for a moment:

















I’m sure you’ll agree that these are visually stunning pieces. You’d love to be able to paint like that, who wouldn’t!

But answering honestly, do you think that level is beyond you?  Do you think it takes years and years of dedicated practice?

Well, you’ll be shocked when you see how even the most complex paintings come down to smile, repeatable steps. Steps that you absolutely can replicate.

Sure, you’ll need to practice the exercises we give you, but the process of seeing real, measurable improvement in yourself is so much fun!

In my next email, I’ll answer the questions I’ve been sent (including what day the Watercolour Academy is launching). For now, here’s a skin tones video from the Figures Module:





CLICK HERE to see the full list of Watercolour Academy lessons >>


Best wishes,

Bob.
P.s. I promised a lesson from the Animals Module too. Here's one of the first lessons that talks about photographing your pet for a painted portrait.



13 comments:

  1. Excellent presentation. Thank you for sharing your insight in how to paint skin tones with a natural glow. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seem so advanced to me....I have no idea how I could ever get to this point! I'm still color mixing and figuring out what brushes are for what.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Nevada. Thank you for sharing the informative and interesting taster videos. I am still "color mixing" and "figuring out what brushes are for what" also. The video on color mixing is very inspiring and I am planning to start my charts. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very disappointed. Darker skin tones were completely missing. I also object to the subject matter of naked ladies. This may be a traditional subject matter among artists, but it comes out of societal traditions of sexism. How many of us spend our days standing naked and still, or draped naked over a sofa, or perched at the window, naked, gazing out? Yes, of course bodies are beautiful. When people walk around naked in society as a matter of course, and no one batts an eye, then I'll enjoy paintings of people doing worthwhile and sensible things naked. Like dancing. But until then, naked ladies painting is painting without making something meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you objected to lighter skin tones and naked ladies, why did you watch? Why even comment? I'm pretty sure this was not forced upon you and you were free to NOT watch. Most of us are NOT looking for something to object to but to learn from. Go complain somewhere else and leave those of us who would like to learn something alone.

      Delete
    2. gotta love the whiny little Tumblrinas. i'm a woman and i love to paint naked women because i think they're beautiful-- oh noes!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The criticism about painting nudes feels harsh to me. I am very much interested in eventually being able to paint skin tones and whole bodies in the way described here, and in the rainbow of races as well. However, I hope participants can recognize that this is a short example of only one part of the course. It does not appear to represent the whole of skin tone instruction and is done in a sensitive manner and in good taste. Alternatively, the superior stance suggested in Anonymous's comment above leads me to hope that the sociological and political opinions can be kept out of this forum in order to preserve an environment of inclusion--where we are free to share and learn and make mistakes rather than be the object of scorn for someone's political soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou Bob, I have found the videos very informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. Very informative and I loved the hand matching demo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not remember the three colors for skin tones. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tutorial, with some great accompanying imagery!

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments here. Please be nice and respectful to others :)